My name is Octavian Costache. I usually go by Vivi.
I was a googler for about 5 and a half years, it was an amazing ride where I learned a lot. I’ve decided to turn back to my hacker roots and now I am the co-founder of a startup.
As an ex-Googler:
- I led the team that changed the Google Maps infrastructure to support Social Search (re-ranking of search results based on your friend’s ratings).
- I launched the Starring feature on Google Maps – bookmark places and see them on your map.
- I created, designed and implemented the Multiple Inboxes Gmail Lab feature, which inspired the creation of Priority Inbox.
- For a long time I was one of the few Flash developers inside Google, so I helped set up support inside the company, co-wrote the style guide, set up automatic testing infrastructure and consulted for various projects.
- I’ve built the Google Finance stock charts which at the time set a new standard in stock charting.
- The same graphs are now used in Google Spreadsheets, Insights for Search, Google Transparency Report, and available to developers as part of the Google Visualization API.
In my life pre-google, while I was still in college I did a lot of freelancing and I also worked on a bunch of personal projects.
- I’ve built an online multiplayer gaming site that grew to be 30th in terms of traffic in Romania at the time. I sold the company when I left the country.
- Built a market-share analytics tool for online ad networks in Romania. It became a reference for the Romanian online advertising market.
- Consistently won national awards at Computer Science olympiads throughout highscool.
I’ve also built the first centralized map of Romanian Politicians that for the first time ever continuously monitored senator’s presence in the Parliament and clustered information from multiple sources about each politician.
Another dear hack of mine is a playlist from all the songs that your friends share on facebook and I still love both and work on them sometimes.
You can check out my resume if you care about what other cool stuff I’ve built.
I tend to build stuff when I feel that it needs to be built.
- octavian.costache [at] gmail.com